Classic Saturday (and Sunday)

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Classic Saturday (and Sunday)

Post by Bob Bull »

Sadly due to visiting grandson, I was only allowed one day at the Classic, but what a day it was!! Glorious sunshine wall-to-wall and some very good racing.
On the Morgan front we had James Paterson in the multi-coloured 'Swap Shop Special' taking a double win in the HSCC type sports car event, with fastest lap to boot. Young Master Phillips finished 16th. in race 8 but improved to 11th. second time out driving his yellow Plus 8, while Mark Shears also did the double with a brace of 32nd. places.
In the Masters event the SLR Morgan of Ahlers and James Bellinger ran well to take a class win and 17th. overall with the Kremer/Kremer Plus 4, second in class and 30th. at 1 lap. Neither car was giving ground around the tight Abbey Chicane to anyone, but power will tell on the GP circuit.
John Clarke's venerable 4-4LM, fully recovered from it's French antics, was the sole representative of the marque in the Pre War Sports Car Race taking a creditable 21st overall and a class win, with John doing the donkey work and Peter Horsman just having to bring it home. (To be honest I'm not sure that is strictly true, but it sounds good!)
Rick 'Smiler' Bourne shared Chris Phillips' mighty J2X Allard in the 1948-55 Sports Car event the duo taking 10th spot after 60 minutes of racing.
There were some other races, but I don't remember much about them, except one had a load of Porsches tearing round. Personally I find no joy in 1970's F1Cars.

Richard Plant was there as a reserve, but did not get a drive unfortunately.

Finally; It was good to see another hairy chested Morgan driver 'coming out' and revealing his feminine side as Mark made no attempt to hide the dainty white handbag he keeps in the boot of his Morgan (see the usual web site for illustration).
I hope to meet you all at Silverstone on Saturday.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mark Shears

Re: Classic Saturday (and Sunday)

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

A great synopsis of the weekend! It really was a fantastic event - there were just so many fabulous cars to see on track and in the paddock.And as you describe the racing was superb, all helped along by the sunniest weekend (at Silverstone)this year.

I am however anxious to get in touch with my feminine side and can't remember where to find your site of compromising pictures. Do post it up again Bob to save us the trouble of trawling through all your posts!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Hi, Mark,
Very nice to see you and Phil again at the Classic as well as Peter and John, such a friendly bunch, or is it just fear? The charming pictures of your personal accoutrement can be found at; picasaweb.google.co.uk/Bob.bull.photos along with some more macho images from the track.
I will bring a CD along to the BDC for you as there are rather a lot to download.
You may care to view all my efforts from the meeting at picasweb.google.co.uk/rbmapics, as this site carries the non-Morgan material, and a careful study of the opening lap of your race on Saturday will show, in the background an Alfa spinning off at Copse while a black Morgan disappears, only half in shot!! Any connection???
With regard to the contents of your boot! You did introduce me to your Father, a real gentleman, but not the type to sport a handbag himself, yet no Mother, Wife, Daughter or any other female companion was in evidence, I was, therefore, forced to the conclusion that the bag was indeed yours. Should I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, and there is a perfectly innocent explanation for the item being in the boot, please publish same on this site and avoid unwelcome approaches from MG and Triumph drivers. (On reflection the offending article MAY have belonged to Phil, but he does not seem the type either)

You may feel that such photos are an unwarranted intrusion into your personal life, however, I have been tasked by Lord Acklam to seek out intimate details of assorted Morgan drivers and provide photographic evidence for publication in a well known scandal rag. Do you remember the Max M. affair??

Oh! By the way. Why is my web site not in your favourites folder?? If in doubt how to do this seek advice from the aforesaid LA.

When you do view the pics take a look at the size of JC's trophy from Le Mans!!! Wow!!!

Kind regards,

Bob
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Thank you Bob - I will look at once.And put you in my favourites folder!

I had heard that JC had a big one - it was the talk of his fellow Morganeers, but I haven't seen it myself.Can't wait!

Cheers

Mark

Do you think he will have it with him at BDC Silverstone?!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mark,
I had the distinct impression he takes it everywhere with him, so yes you will probably be able to view it at Silverstone this weekend, if not I have a number of pictures I can share with you.

I noticed that the original result of the Road Sports Race had you in 30th. spot, but later downgraded to 32nd. Was it something you said?

Bob
Regards
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Just for the record please remember that Keith Ahlers has TWO huge ones & Bill Wykeham & I have a largish one between us.................... :oops:
John Emberson
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

And just for the record I had to struggle from Le Mans paddock carrying TWO large trophies AND two bottles of champagne AND a large book on very expensive Richard Mille watches. Luckily Josh Sadler & Gideon Hudson (who used to race Porsches against Mogs many years ago) took pity on me and assisted.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Bob,

Yes I noticed I had been demoted by 2 places when I got home on Sunday night and was sitting down looking through the results with a cold beer!

I think it was because they hadn't picked up on their transponder times. It didn't actually affect me as they were faster cars further ahead of me. I was pleased to see however that I had improved my times on Sunday by nearly 2 seconds.Could be because the race on Sunday morning was at 9 am and it was much cooler than Saturdays race which was at 3.45 pm - and it was b....y hot! Could also be of course that I am getting better! No, you're right - it was the temperature! But the Mog is handling so much better now - thanks Chas.

Great pictures again Bob and a couple of nice shots of JC with his Trophy - very elegant.

See you at Bentley Drivers - we will be the ones with the extended picnic table (no barbeques!)

Cheers

Mark
GGClark

Post by GGClark »

Dear Mark,
Just a quick note to say I was filming at the Silversone Classic, representing the FJHRA.
I also filmed both the HSCC Historic Sports Car races (Race 8 & 12).
These two races featured a number of Morgan competitors including yourself. Anyone interested in a copy of this film got to http://www.vfsvideos.co.uk or contact me at sales@vfsvideos.co.uk
Regards Graham.
--
Graham Clark
VFS Motor Racing Videos
www.vfsvideos.co.uk
sales@vfsvideos.co.uk
--