Bentley Drivers or I'm TT

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Bentley Drivers or I'm TT

Post by Bob Bull »

Despite a rainy start to the day, nothing could spoil the quintessential English tradition that is the annual Bentley Drivers Club Meeting at Silverstone. This has been held since 1949 probably making it the longest continuous running meeting at the circuit.
Following a wet practice the Sun made it's appearance just as racing commenced and therefore only the first race was held on a really wet track, but as it contained no Morgans we can gloss over the result. Race 2 was the grandly named ADVAN YOKOHAMA MG T REGISTER AC & MORGAN RACE, but is known more simply by readers of this item as the TT, for it incorporated the third running of the Turbo Techniques Trophy for 4 cylinder Morgans, sponsored by Brian and Tracy Gateson of the same name. Despite it's title the event had not attracted any AC's and it became a Morgan Field Day with the marque dominating the grid and the results. The first attempt saw an MG smite the barriers even before it had crossed the start line causing a red flag, luckily only the drivers pride was hurt and the car with just a bit of red paint added to the bodywork. From the re-start Barry Sumner made a brilliant getaway to lead the field round on lap one ahead of Jonathon Rushton and Mark Gilbart-Smith. Lap two and Barry's yellow car still lead from Jonathon with James Bellinger now closing in third. As the track dried out and Bellinger's tyres warmed up he moved into a commanding lead taking the chequered flag from Mark, Jonathon and Barry with David James close behind, and Keith Ahlers in the SLR next up. John Clarke lead home Adrian Van Der Kroft in XOV before the first of the MG's, with John Emberson, in his latest acquisition, and William Sergeant 12th. and 13th. and David Phillips 18th. Poor Mark Shears lost a secure 12th spot when he lost power on the straight ending up 22nd and last. The cause of the problem is unknown at this stage as the car fired up on the button after the race and ran perfectly.

Race 4 was the Power Torque Challenge and gave Keith Ahlers, now in his plus 8, a clear win ahead of James Edgerton, Phil Hollins, Chris Acklam, (who had been praying for rain) Robin Pearce and Phillip Goddard. Last year I watched this race from Copse and caught Roger Whiteside on camera executing not one, but two seperate, 'triple salkos'. This year only one car spun and was captured by my lens. Sorry Roger!!

Chris Acklam took victory in the Works Sports Car Race leading home Simon Orebi-Gann with Richard Thorne fourth, Andrew Potter 11th., Ulrich Vierhaus 14th., and the aforesaid Roger 17th. closely followed by Phillip Tisdall in 18th. place. Kelvin Laidlaw took second place in the final handicap race just one second behind the winner in a Lotus 23b. and Emma-Jane Gilbart-Smith came home 16th. in her MGB, despite the weight of a double hyphen.

After race 4 we collected at the Turbo Techniques gazebo for the prize giving, where Phil Garlick presented the trophies for the TT. I was somewhat confused as I had believed that a James Bellinger had won the race, yet it was a Billy Bellinger who was called forward to pick up the prize. Was this the same Bellinger who finished just in front of Miss Lindy in the Power Torque race? I know from past correspondence that Mary is obsessed with beating a certain Jack Bellinger, and in his absence she is trounced by yet another of the clan. Doesn't seem fair.

Apart from the racing it was also a great day off track with Tracy and Mum supplying a fair old spread for the assembled crowd -thank you to both- and lots of old friends about and new ones to meet, confirming what I have been told many times, that Morgan drivers are a friendly bunch.

Morgan Media Mutterings

Tim: "Where did you get that hat, where did you get that tile?"

Mark; Did you really switch of the fuel pump by mistake?

Andrew P; I did not see you around, were you off with a bunch of nubile young ladies in between races?

Chris; I have a book on Red Indians which may contain a rain dance formula, I'll check it out.

I understand that Catherine has been promoted from Gopher to Team Manager of Equipe Emberson which, means that she was able to take control of the 'bubbly' won by 'hubbie' John for some act of heroism on-track. Perhaps she could swap it for a pair of socks for him.

Peter Horsman was about but not driving apart from ferrying one of the Clarke Morgans home.

I will put my photographic efforts on the usual; picasaweb.google.co.uk/Bob.bull.photos web site asap.

Kind regards,

Bob the Reporter.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Re: Bentley Drivers or I'm TT

Post by Bob Bull »

Apologies to the Gatesons, their concern is simply 'Techniques' not Turbo Techniques. Even the best of us get it wrong sometimes. Sorry Brian and Tracy!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Dear ‘Confused of 3 Counties’

Thanks for the comprehensive report. Nice to read as I missed this big event.

You say

“ where Phil Garlick presented the trophies for the TT. I was somewhat confused as I had believed that a James Bellinger had won the race, yet it was a Billy Bellinger “

I have only seen the printed results and had a verbal report from John Clarke, but my understanding is that it was Andy Garlick who presented the prizes. Andy used to own Tim Hill’s yellow peril +4 which I had the joy of driving in previous TT races. Andy was known as ‘Mogman’ and once appeared at the Annual Morgan Dinner dressed in Mogman’s superhero outfit.

As for the James, Billy, Jack trio (or duo) yes it is confusing and probably relates to a past incident when a sudden change of name was urgently required. No doubt one of them can explain.

Leigh
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh (pronounced coff! If I remember correctly)
I thought my report had made it clear that Andy HAD presented the prizes! But as you received a verbal report from John Clarke I can understand your confusion.

Are the Morgan Bollingers related the famous 'shampoo' firm by any chance?

Please click the thoughtfully placed link after my signature to view compelling evidence that Andy Garlick did indeed present the prizes!!

Oh! for a Silly Section.

Bob
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Dear Leigh/Bob... As for James or Bill son of Jack and Sally ..Sally wanted James.. Jack didnt ..Jack wanted Bill ..Sally registered Bill on the Birth Cert.Jack did not know!! Jack only called James Bill .. Sally only called Bill James..
So anything legal Bill has to be Called James .. Sally naturally lost the arguement and started to call James Bill so depending on who you are talking to Jack or Sally James is called Bill or Bill is called James ..
simple really

love jack
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Glad you straightened that out Jack, or should that be Sally?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I've lost the will to live! #-o
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Bob - if it's all so clear why do did you call Andy, Phil ??
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

On re-reading you excellent report Bob, I think I should correct one point.
the first race was held on a really wet track, but as it contained no Morgans we can gloss over the result.
Well, there was a Morgan interest in the first race in that it was won by Suzanne Sears (her first race win) in the MGB in which she and James Paterson (aka Noddy) compete. A good start to the day.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Leigh (pronounced c.... Oh! Never mind)
I agree that I did name him Phil, BUT, as you of all people should know, it is PRONOUNCED ANDY!!! (Secretly, I was just annoyed that he did a much better job of presenting the prizes than I did last year.)

Chris,
Clearly there is more to this Morgan business than I realised, but MG's masquerading as Morgans?

Addendum to Bentley Drivers Club Meeting, Silverstone August 2nd. 2008.

The first race was a handicap event and while there were no Morgan cars entered Suzanne Sears, who has been known to drive a Morgan, claimed victory in an MG MGB, completing the distance in 11:49:93, an average speed of 56.65mph. Suzanne recorded her best lap on the fifth circuit at 60.49mph. Her win was all the more praiseworthy as the track was still very wet from the earlier rain and the sun glistening on the surface would have made for difficult driving conditions.
The MG finished 2.93 secs ahead of Michael Parden in a TVR 2500, while Emma-Jane Gilbart-Smith came home in 12th place in another MG MGB in a time of 12:28:29 with a best lap of 55.15mph. The race was run under MSA Permit No's 47578 Clubmans & 47579 National B.
It is entirely possible that other competitors may at some time have driven or owned a Morgan (or indeed an MG MGB) but your reporter is unaware of any further connections with the marque.

Note to Morgan drivers; |It is highly unlikely that BBC Three Counties Radio will be represented at The HSCC Gold Cup Meeting.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Dear Bob,

Thank you for the report on the first race - my life is now complete!

Would Emma-Jane Gilbart-Smith be related to the one and only Mark Gilbart-Smith? You know the one - the podium placed Morgan Plus 4 driver?!

Will miss you at Oulton.

Cheers

Mark
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Mark, I think Bob is only now realising that almost every driver is just a few steps away from being a proppa (Morgan) driver....
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mark,
Perhaps you should not let Mrs. Shears (assuming there is one) know that it took my reporting to make your life complete! Hell hath no fury etc...!

I am unwilling to speculate on any relationship either real or imagined, or even alleged, between Emma-Jane and Mark, but as Chris obviously expects any connection, however tenuous, with Morgans to be reported I adjudge that even having the same surname probably qualifies for at least a mention in dispatches.
My worst fear is that somewhere lurks a Morgan type named Smith or even Brown (Shudders) as that may overburden even this intrepid scribe.

Perhaps in my absence from the Gold Cup you may be prevailed upon to write the obligatory report for On-Track. You would then discover that even the slightest error or omission will be spotlighted and laid bare by those whose main roll in life seems to be to find fault with better men. I name no names but we all know who they are!
Perhaps some other brave soul may essay to record in photographic detail the exploits of the courageous Morgan pilotes and put them in the public domain? surely someone has a Box Brownie.

Best of luck with the barbecue.

Bob
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Thank you Bob - there is indeed a Mrs Shears and there is a very nice portrait of her on your Morgan People album.(A far more attractive picture compared to some of the ones you take of me!)

I will take a straw poll of the HSCC Morgan boys and I'm sure that between us we can come up with a race report from Oulton.

Cheers

Mark