HSCC - Oulton Park Gold Cup 23-25th Aug

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

HSCC - Oulton Park Gold Cup 23-25th Aug

Post by John Clarke »

The Roadsports race is on Monday 25th Aug.

I've put in an entry, are any other folk making the long trip 'up north'?
Mark Shears

Re: HSCC - Oulton Park Gold Cup 23-25th Aug

Post by Mark Shears »

You bet!!!! I've even had my entry confirmed by the HSCC office!

See you there!

Cheers

Mark (last but not least!) Shears
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi John,

Me too I think for once the HRS and 70's are on the same day??

Richard.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

While this subject is of no particular interest to myself, I could not help but notice that Richard's last contribution was submitted at 6.44 am!!!
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

I'll be there too in the Plus 4. Looks like it will be a good turnout - HRS are having a BBQ on the Sunday evening.

Mark
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I'll definitately be there then!!!

Look forward to seeing you there Mark. And hopefully Simon King in FOJ? Let us know Simon. I can put an extra sausage on the barbeque for you then!

Cheers

Mark
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

I think I have an entry for Oulton, I'm just not convinced that I have a car....

I notice we're scheduled to practice on Monday morning and race that afternoon. That being the case Is anyone planning on traveling to the circuit on Saturday?
Jonathon Rushton

What a difference a day makes. Fingers crossed I'll be picking up the +4 from TR Enterprises on Saturday, in plenty of time for it to break down before the Oulton Park weekend! [-o<
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Great news Jonathon - look forward to seeing you there. When do you plan to arrive?

Cheers

Mark
Jonathon Rushton

All being well I plan on taking the friday off work and heading up to Cheshire quite early on in order to miss the nations AGM which is held at the same time on the M6.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Guys,

Richard Plant and I will be arriving on Sunday. The weather is forecast to be good. How about a barbeque? (Shut up Bob!)

Unless of course something more interesting is on the cards!

Let us know so I can bring enough sausages!

Cheers

Mark
Jonathon Rushton

I've just been on the web page operated by the BBC weather Centre. The five day forecast is predicting rain on Friday and cloudy (but dry) on Saturday and Sunday.

Knowing how miserable a wet Oulton Park can be I plan on just packing my Bermuda's as I figure they'll dry quicker than anything else! If I change my mind last minute I will probably make sure the collapsible awning comes with us, just in case.

Chatting to the other historic road sports jonnies it looks as if a few of them are set to practice on the Saturday and so there's a plan a-foot to set up camp on the Saturday and host a bit of a bbq on Sunday evening.

Hold off on the sausages until the Sunday as I understand it to be the case that we'll send someone off to the nearest supermarket to stock up on the day. At least that way we avoid the comedy value of wenty blokes all turning up with a dozen sausages each!

See you all on the weekend.

Jonathon
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

OK Jonathon - that sounds like a plan!

Look forward to seeing you on Sunday - and the other guys.

Cheers

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I plan to be breezing by on Saturday to drop off the Mog and get scrutineered (having spoken to the HSCC powers). I then have to be in Lancashire Saturday and Sunday evening so will miss out on Mark's excellent bbq'ing.

Have spoken to Richard and asked him to rope off an area for us mogmen - it would be good if we could have a Mog corral (as opposed to a pink sea creature).

Mmmm, not too sure about's Monday's weather....maybe more slithering about wishing I had bought some new tyres!! #-o
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Oulton Park Gold Cup - great meeting, huge grids and hoards of spectators. So what happened?

Richard Plant took pole in 70's Roadsports from Porsche 928. Something laid trail of oil around circuit for next qualifying session........us!!!

Historic Road Sports saw yours truely out to qualify first and gingerly avoided all the oil. Prior to going out, Simon King was a no show (engine), Jonathan Rushton had car in bits but reassembled in time but with no oil cooler, Mark Sheers had desparate last minute fuel pump change and just made qualifying, Mark Hoble missed the qualifying session all together but was allowed at the back of the grid, the +8 representative, Bruce Stapleton had fixed the fan belt problem from Brands Hatch and looked on the pace. What is it with old Morgans?

Come the races.....Richard lost out to the Porsche but within 3 laps the race was red flagged. At the restart, Richard pulled into the lead before the Porsche went AWOL. With a comfortable victory in sight, and on the chequered flag lap, the throttle cable came adrift and the Mog spluttered to a halt. Arrgghhhh.

The Historic Road Sports saw Bruce take the lead....hooray....then spin, Arrghhhhh, then got back into 2nd and a class win. Me, I was alongside Jonathan with the "Marks" someway back. We both had a good start picking up places through the first few corners. I managed to gap Jonathan before he span at Druids. Mark came from the back to beat Mark. So after 20 minutes, it was Bruce 2nd (1st Class), me 11th (4th), Jonathan 17th (6th), Mark 20th (7th) and Mark 21st (8th) from 31 runners.

So another great meeting where the two +8s should have won #-o and the +4s were out gunned by the TR5/6's. :oops: