HSCC - Donington Park 4th-5th October

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

HSCC - Donington Park 4th-5th October

Post by John Clarke »

I can't remember getting an entry form for this meeting. Are they out?
Mark Shears

Re: HSCC - Donington Park 4th-5th October

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

Got mine last Thursday - 28th August. I know Richard had his at the same time and we have both sent them back!

Give the HSCC office a ring: 01327-858400

See you bright and early on Saturday morning - we are first away!

Cheers

Mark
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

John,

As Mark has already said the regs are out so I would get in quick as this might be the last chance to race at Donington for a couple of years with all the rebuilding that’s proposed for F1 status :?: :?: .

Richard.
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Mark

What is the time table for Donington? I couldn't find it on the HSCC site...
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

I haven't got the actual timings yet but it has us down for the first race of the day on Saturday - and Richard in the 70's Roadsports down as last race of the day on Sunday!

Cheers

Mark

PS. Looks like some great racing in between including Group C (Le Mans type cars) and Flavien and Vanessa Marcais' GT and Sportscar race.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

For details of time table and provisional entry lists visit HSCC web site and on Home page click the 'our next meeting' box on top left. It shows Marks S & H Chris Philips & J Clarke so far entered.

You need to know these things when you are a top man.

BB
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

I knew we could rely on you Bob!
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

When clicking on the next race on the HSCC site, take care to read the heading.........
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

Well, Sod has struck again.

When I agreed to be godfather to my best man's youngest son I never imagined I would have to 'choose' between Donington and the son of Satan's first birthday (choose is used in its loosest sense).

I have never raced at Donington and I was hoping that this meeting was going to be it. I didn't count on the cunning of one year old to thwart my plans.

I have just thrown my entry form in the bin and I'm off to the pub in disgust.

Jonathon
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jonathon,

We'll be sorry not to see you at Donington - but I received the regs. on Saturday for the Finals race meeting at Silverstone on Saturday 18th October. See you there I hope?

Cheers

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Has anyone seen the timetable and entry list for Donington?
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Provisional Timetable

Historic Road Sports Saturday 4th October, sign on from 07.30, Practice09.00-09.15, Race 13.15,
Entries so far Mark Shears Plus 4 and James Paterson, Oliver Philips in Plus 8’s John are you racing in this one?

70s Road Sports Sunday 5th October, sign on from 08.20, practice 09.55-10.10< race 16.25.
Entries so Far Paul Conway and me in Plus 8’s

Other regular Morgan racers are recovering from Spa for this HSCC weekend.

It’s a huge Historic meeting over two days with other Morgan’s in various other races Keith and Billy in the SLR and Malcolm Paul and Rob Wells in the Plus 4.

Richard.
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Richard, I have not entered, I was waiting for timetables and weather forecasts to be published and then try and get a late entry if all looked favourable (my tyres are virtually slicks). As it is, the weather for Saturday is wet and cold (12 degree high!!) and the start time is way too early for us sleepy heads.

Best of luck with the race - perhaps the Mogs can clean up this time especially with the inclement weather.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Guys,

Missed you! You were right John, the Morgans did clean up - well the Plus 8 guys did.

James Paterson won in our Historic Roadsports race and Richard Plant had a well deserved win in the 70's Roadsports race the next day.And what a day it was!

Saturday for our practice at 9 o' clock was dry but very cold. There was a prolonged shower mid-morning but the wind blew the rain away and it was dry again for our race - which was started a little early to keep the meeting on time. Again very cold and very windy but it made for a good race albeit with a slightly depleted field.

With our race all over by lunchtime I was able to watch practice for the GT and Sportscar Cup with a wonderful entry of cars including AC Cobras,lightweight E-Types,Corvettes,etc and Keith and Billy in the SLR and Malcolm and Rob in the Plus Four. Again their practice was held in dry but cloudy and windy conditions. How different Sunday and race day was to be!

I came back early on Sunday morning to support Richard and the journey up the M69 and M1 was horrendous.In fact Richard himself was worried he wouldn't reach Donington on time despite leaving really early due to an accident on the motorway in the foul conditions which closed a couple of lanes whilst the police cleared the wreckage.

It was little better at the circuit! Race Control decided to run practice for the 70's Roadsports (first out at 9.50am) behind the Safety Car.They all did the obligatory 3 laps - and then in. And they repeated this for all Sundays practice sessions!

In case any of you think this was a bit over the top Richard said that when you came down the Craner Curves it was like a log flume at Old Hall Corner!

However the forecast was that the rain would clear around lunchtime so once all the qualifying had been completed behind the Safety Car they decided to skip the lunchtime break and amend the timetable by starting the sportscars first with the single seaters to follow as conditions improved.

This meant the GT and Sportscars started racing first and you can imagine how exciting that was in the wet but improving conditions - especially if you were in a cobra or corvette! The SLR started really well with Billy up amoung the front runners (all E types) but he made a lengthy pit stop and lost 2 laps. Unfortuneately the Malcolm Paul/Rob Wells Plus 4 lost oil pressure and retired. ( We know about these things don't we boys!) I then had to shoot off and help Richard so didn't see the final laps.

We deliberated over changing from the Avons to the dry weather Yokos as the track was starting to dry in places but our decision was made for us as we ran out of time! With no proper qualifying the grid positions were decided on previous performance and this worked out well for Richard who was selected to start from second on the grid with the Porshe 928 on pole.

The lights went to green and it couldn't have been a worse start for the Morgan! Down to 6th by Redgate! However by the end of the second lap Richard had pulled it back to 4th. And then they stopped the race. Unbeknown to the front runners a back marker had half rolled his Alfa into the marshalls post at the chicane.So understandably the race was red flagged but what was a complete surprise was that they then directed all the cars back off the start and back to the paddock.

Racing continued with the various single seater classes but we all wonderered whether there would be a race at all. They promised us that we would get a race but...it would be put back to last race of the day - and as long as it wasn't dark!

To this end the Organisers nibbled a few minutes out of all the races - shortening them by a few minutes and at 6.30PM the grid for 70's Roadsports reassembled on the grid - all now on dry weather tyres as almost unbelievably the weather had been dry and sunny all afternoon!

But it was now almost dusk and as the lights went to green for a second time Richard powered off the line.The 928 got into Redgate first but this time with the Morgan right behind him.It stayed like this for a couple of laps, the two leading cars, headlights ablaze in the fading light, drawing away from the rest of the field. And then Richard slipped inside the Porsche at Redgate and just as he began to build a cushion the 928 dropped out with mechanical problems.

But don't think it was all over, not by a long chalk.Charles Barter in his Datsun 240Z and son Julian in his TVR 3000M chased the Morgan down for all they were worth. It was inspired driving and Richard would have seen their headlights in his mirrors getting closer and closer with every lap. He was driving for all his worth too on what was by now a very greasy track and with fading brakes. And then I think it was up at Mccleans on the penultimate lap Barter Senior launched a do or die attempt to get past the Mog. It nearly ended in tears - the resulting colossal spin narrowly missing the Morgan and almost collecting his own son in the TVR!

However everyone survived and Richard completed the final lap to take that well deserved, hard fought win. He collected a fine trophy and winners garland in the dark!

Told you all you should have come!!!

Cheers

Mark
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Excellent race report Mark; have you been taking lessons from Bob?
Well done Richard - a result that reflects your form at last.
Cheers, Tony