Classic Motor Show - 2008

Races, track days, testing ...
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Re: Classic Motor Show - 2008

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

The Back of the Grid Club was a marvellous institution. I seem to remember that members included Dave Sapp, Mary, Peter Sargeant, Ian Doolan, Gentleman George Hodgkinson and yours truely. There may have been other worthy types as well. Possibilities include Bob Northover, Murray M-S and Caroline Tarry. Jack was always too fast and too keen on winning and Barry Sumner, I suspect, was too good in the wet to qualify. One can, even to this day, recognise a member as he/she will, if asked at signing on, produce a BOTG yellow scarf as proof of membership. The benefits of membership were not measured in points, prizes, pots, cash, interviews in Autosport or offers of F1 test drives.

Dave, as for your observations of racing v trials; I seem to remember that you sometimes combined the two in one event. Notably at Castle Combe in c1988. After a virtuoso demonstration of racing car control through Quarry you demonstrated the art of ploughing using your upside down 4/4 as an improvised plough to finish off that bit of the infield at Hammerdown that the farmer had left before he went to lunch. I believe you then also drove home from the race in the Morgan.

Happy days

Kelvin
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Note to members;
Having had cause to complain about my own thread being hi-jacked (HSCC Report V Birkett) I am rather upset to see my entirely innocent remark re- BOTG, has caused the original theme of the Classic Car Show to be overwhelmed by fragrant memories from assorted drivers better know for the back of their head, than their faces.
I have been assured by Chris Acklam that there is no additional charge for initiating a new 'topic' on the forum, and would urge more consideration for existing subjects so as to not detract from the original purpose of the thread.

PLEASE SEND REPLIES ONLY RELEVANT TO THE INITIAL SUBJECT MATTER.

PS; I have not had much feedback on my tennis racket advert.

RFB SoF.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Phew, I thought you were really going to stir things up by quoting your favourite F1 driver on the BotG club.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Help?

Can anybody shed light on that last post from Chris?
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

fragrant memories from assorted drivers
Shouldn't that be assorted memories from fragrant drivers?
Can anybody shed light on that last post from Chris?
This might be a subtle(?) reference to my quotation from Graham Hill about the BOTG.
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Mary Lindsay wrote:This might be a subtle(?) reference to my quotation from Graham Hill about the BOTG.
Actually, no. It was the much less endearing remark from a current F1 driver. Image
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

We still seem to be 'off-subject', but here goes anyway.

Mary,
I struggled with the colloquialism, unable to find the correct expression for tuppence worth. Still it might depend on which side of the Thames you come from.
The tennis racket you lust after is a serious bit of kit and not for the amateur, or limp wristed types, I am awaiting an estimate from Bonhams before deciding on an opening 'bid price', but I will give you first refusal. I suspect that if you want to buy the Bull Bat you may have to sell 'Bulldog' to fund the purchase although I'm not sure what second hand Morgans are worth.

Ever since I pointed out to Mark Shears his use of currant for current I have been inundated with messages correcting my own English, it is worse than being back in 3C at Junior School, where my 'English' book was full of red crosses. Teach me to open my big mouth.

Mr. Acklam, Cub Reporter, was alluding to a comment made last season by a certain young driver of mixed race describing the BOTG Club at the Monaco GP as 'the monkeys at the back of the grid'. I doubt if it was meant in a disrespectful way, as the chap in question is a really nice fellow! Well that's what people say.

To other visitors to this subject, remember; The Classic Car Show needs you. Volunteer now.

Ace Bull
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

unable to find the correct expression for tuppence worth
You seem concerned by others going off topic and yet then you reply to a posting in one part of the forum in a different one completely. :roll:

Let us have some consistency please or there will be yet more red ink on your exercise book.....
tennis racket you lust after
I am not sure that this accurately describes my interest in the item
not for the amateur, or limp wristed types
Amateur maybe but I have never been described as limp wristed :P
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Wandering off subject.......?

What .... subject?

Where am I?

What am I doing here?

What did I say .............?

Nurse! NURSE! NUUURSsssse

PS; Woz mi spelin alrit?
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

PS; Woz mi spelin alrit?
It woz perfict.
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Let me drag this back on topic as I am sure that Dave Sapp would welcome all help that he can get. Contact him by private message if you can help in any way.

Chris
Phil Egginton wrote:The Classic Motor Show is held from 14th to 16th November 2008 at the NEC near Birmingham.

See http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com for more info.

The MSCC has always had a stand and this year we have a much larger one that unusual (in advance of the 2009 centenary when we hope to have the largest stand of all). The theme this year is "40 Years of the Plus 8". I am still looking for volunteers to loan cars to display on the club stand and in particular:

1. A competition Plus 8 - racer or sprinter but 'distinctive' in some way either through appearance or history.
2. Late 1970's Plus 8
3. A 4.6 road car
4. A Plus 8 4 seater (I know of at least one)
5. Anything else of interest.

The car would need to be delivered to the NEC about mid day on Thursday 13th November and collected either late on Sunday 16th or before 12 on Monday 17th. Free tickets to the show are available to the owner.

If you know or have a suitable car then either PM me on this site or email to phil.egginton@gmail.com
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Well done Chris, my point all along.

Bob
Regards
Dave Sapp

Post by Dave Sapp »

Hi chaps and chapesses

Yes, I am looking for some help. Specifically I am looking for two persons, one with a large 4x4 to get MMC 11 (in a trailer) to the NEC show for 11am on 13th November and to return said to the factory on the following Monday. The other kind person will drive the Aero 8 demonstrator from the factory to NEC for the same time and date. This car needs to be back at the factory for 9am on the Monday. Can anyone help, please? Can't believe nobody wants to have a free drive of the Aero 8.

Kelivin: Thank you for not mentioning that I did the double barrel roll on the infield at Caslte Combe during the practice. That would have been very embarrasing!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Dave,
As a non-Morgan owner, and not possessed of a big motor car, I can not offer much help, although the lure of driving a Mighty Morgan to and from is appealing, however, as a well known provider of free photos to the fraternity, I can offer such to you if they would be of use.
I can send a CD/DVD of pictures taken over several years for your delectation. Perhaps a slide show on a computer or prints to help decorate the stand?

Let me know,

Bob Bull.
Regards
Dave Sapp

Post by Dave Sapp »

Thanks for your offer Bob. Can I take you up on a CD/DVD for showing on the PC I am taking to the show? Do I need any special programs to run a slide show?

I have a volunteer to take and return the Aero 8 demonstrator. Just need one to take MMC 11 and its trailer back to the factory on Monday.

Thanks