Electrics-Guages not working

Technical queries or suggestions
Joe Phillips

Electrics-Guages not working

Post by Joe Phillips »

Hi folks,
Has anyone got any suggestions on trouble shooting why my guages, Fuel, Water Temp, Voltage Meter wont work.
Also Direction indicators dont work.
The rest of the electrics function ok,ie Ignition, side lights/Main Beam, Hazard warning lights.
I have checked and reseated the fuses, all ok.
I have also checked the connections from ignition switch to the main loom.
Could there be a fault in the fuse box its self?.
Any help much appreciated.
Joe Phillips 1977 4/4 Kent 2 seat.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: Electrics-Guages not working

Post by jack bellinger »

Up under the dash normaly on the n/s just behind the glove box is a little sq voltage stabiliser screwed on to the wood that the bulk head screws up to .. it has an earth lead that is held on by a wood screw check it out for a good connection to earth the stabiliser has to earth or the guages dont work .. the flasher unit is up there too give it a tap see if it makes the ind work

jack
Joe Phillips

Post by Joe Phillips »

Thanks Jack, I will go check it now and report back. I have seen the voltage regulator on the wiring diagram but did not have a clue as to where it was.
regards,
Joe
Joe Phillips

Post by Joe Phillips »

I have spent all day chasing this one, found the V stabiliser and re sited it in a more accesable position, it was mounted on the back of the glove compartment and impossible to get at.
Whilst moving fuses 2 and 3, I saw the fuel and volts come alive for 5 seconds then die back again.
Had fuse box off and cleaned everything, still no good. Re made engine/earth at timing chaincase cover, generally poked arround back of instruments reseating the daisy chain black wire, which I think is the earth on the back of each instrument.
Heater fan also dead.
No luck, so have ordered a new Voltage stabiliser and a new fusebox.
Any suggestions welcome?.
regards,
Joe Phillips
Joe Phillips

Post by Joe Phillips »

I managed to trace the fault at last, after connecting a live feed from the fuse box direct to the Voltage stabiliser B terminal, the guages came to life, so re checked fuse box and found a bad fuse.
The fuse had not blown and had continuity, but substituting another fuse fixed everything!.
Many thanks,
Joe Phillips
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

At least you know where the stabilser is now

jack