Race overalls

Race chatter
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Race overalls

Post by Chris Acklam »

I see from the MSA mag that race overalls standard FIA 1986 will not be acceptable after next year. So if you are getting new overalls, make sure they are FIA 8856-2000 if you want to use them for more than a year.
Bob Bull

Re: Race overalls

Post by Bob Bull »

Well done yet again Chris. Your new section thrillingly launched with an item on 'race overalls', how inspiring you are!!

Can't wait for your next contribution.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

As any Editor knows (except those at the BBC of course) it's a matter of knowing your audience. No doubt you've been asked to tone down your 'edgy' interviews with the public.

(And, by the by, drivers no longer wear tweed jackets and tuck their ties in their shirts before venturing out on track these days...)
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

And, by the by, drivers no longer wear tweed jackets and tuck their ties in their shirts before venturing out on track these days...)
Do they have to roll their sleeves down and avoid wearing shorts as well? :shock:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

(And, by the by, drivers no longer wear tweed jackets and tuck their ties in their shirts before venturing out on track these days...)[/quote]

Bunch of wimps.
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Back on the subject of eligible race suits, I see from their web site that Grand Prix Racewear appear to be having a hard time - http://www.gprdirect.com
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

At the risk of lulling Bob into a state of torpor (yes, yes, I hear some say), I visited AWS (purveyors of race suits to the gentry) this morning.

After Jack recommended them last year I looked them up on the web and was astonished to find that they are located only 10 minutes away from me. So I went in this morning and found a veritable hive of industry populated by obviously hard-working and pleasant people.

Located in fairly basic industrial units on the outskirts of Ashford, Kent, they are essentially making bespoke race suits. They have a very small range in stock (though happily for me they had one left over from the racing car show at the show price), but mainly work to orders over the phone or, to a lesser extent, on-line (at http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk).

Looking through what they had on the rack I was told that they could make me one in any colour or style combination and with any embroidery on (this has to be done first). And, from what I saw and tried, the quality and comfort was every bit as good, if not better, than the expensive Sparco and Stand 21 suits that I have and have had.

So for those who may want a new race suit and, particularly for those who want one in a particular colour (Sharlie springs to mind for some reason) or for those with a non-standard shape (you know who you are...), then I can recommend their products.

Chris
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I thoroughly recommend AWS, I have used their overalls for years and have always found them to be excellent.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Chris Acklam wrote:At the risk of lulling Bob into a state of torpor (yes, yes, I hear some say),
You should be so lucky.
Chris Acklam wrote:or for those with a non-standard shape (you know who you are...),
Mary Lindsay wrote:I have used their overalls for years and have always found them to be excellent.
Any connection between these two quotes I wonder.

Gamblin' Man.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi All,

You will be pleased to know that Grand Prix Racewear has been bought by Martin Hines (of Zip karts fame).

I understand they are up and running but if like me you are a Privilege Member we only have until April to take advantage of the various discounts that are available to us.

See the PR release on their website as Chris has shown above.

Cheers

Mark