"Equipe"GTS 2009

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Jim Lowry

"Equipe"GTS 2009

Post by Jim Lowry »

As our race season draws to a close, we can reflect back and consider 2008 to be another very successful year for “Equipe”GTS and was a credit to all those concerned. Christophe and I consider we have moved up a gear and to be invited to the VSCC’s premier event of the year at Donington SeeRed and a return back to the equally impressive MGCC Silverstone International meeting proves we are becoming one of the more prestigious race series.

During the year we held fourteen thirty-minute races including European races at Zandvoort and Zolder and fielded 102 different drivers. We had drivers from Germany, France, Holland and Denmark. We also welcomed two UK based Americans leaving the rest of the grids made up of the remaining 93 British drivers.

Including only two drivers in Morgans ?

-

At this time and along with most all Morgan enthusiasts, we are looking forward to 2009.

As yet our race calendar is yet to be finalised, but we are planning races at the more typical larger UK circuits including Snetterton, Oulton Park and Silverstone, we are also planning adventures to Anglesey and Croft.

European rounds of the series are planned on the Le Mans Bugatti circuit and Zandvoort.

-

For series regulations please take a look at http://www.historique.co.uk

I shall list dates and venues as soon as any are confirmed.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Re: "Equipe"GTS 2009

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update and my apologies that I was unable to join you in 2008 but as you know my Plus 4 is undergoing some major surgery which will be completed early next year I am certainly planning to come out in 2009 . The Bugatti circuit sounds very tempting and with Morgan’s History at Le Mans
and the 100th years of Morgan in 2009 it would be a great place to celebrate the occasion =D>

Anyone else planning to be out with GTS Equipe in 2009?

Looking forward to putting some dates in the diary so please keep the posts coming .

Richard.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jim,

As one of the two Morgan drivers in your series last year I can say how much I enjoyed it. I met some really nice guys and learnt a great deal - it was only my second race season.

I will certainly be out with you again next season and hope that there will be some more Morgan drivers who will join me. Your Le Mans race next year sounds especially inviting!

Perhaps as Richard says it is the Centenery of the MMC you would consider inviting all eligible Morgans both Plus Fours and 4/4s so we can make a real party of it ?!

Have you any idea of date yet?

Cheers

Mark
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

Hi Richard and Mark.

The ACO initially came up with July 4th-5th but I understand they are now reconsidering as this date clashes with the Goodwood Festival of Speed. As and when they confirm this or any other date I will let you know.

It would be really good to encourage as many Morgans to this event, maybe as part of the 100 year celebration.

We can start a very large grid at this circuit, I think 55 is the maximum.

-

As you both know, in "Equipe"GTS we are very keen for all cars to comply to the regulations. We have strict tyre regulations and insist upon a high standard of car presentation.

I think maybe our regulation concerning full width windscreens may have discouraged some Morgan drivers from previously entering "Equipe"GTS races. Do you think if we were to provide a special class for 4 cylinder Morgans at this "one off" event, it may help some additional drivers to attend ? It certainly would be great to see more Morgans on the grid and especially at Le Mans in 2009.

We could arrange an additional Morgan only class if there was sufficient interest.

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Jim.
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

[quote="RICHARD PLANT"]
Anyone else planning to be out with GTS Equipe in 2009?

I raced once with Equipe GTS this year (albeit in the TR rather than the Morgan) and had a great time keeping an red italian angry wasp at bay. As Jim knows I am definitely up for the 2009 Le Mans gig in my Plus 4. Maybe other venues too.

Mark
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Jim,

I would definitely be interested in a return to Le Mans after racing RU at the Classic this year. As I only race the car in FIA format anyway the full windscreen is not a problem for me. Hope to see you in 2009.
John Emberson
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

I have just received confirmation from Christophe, the date of the Le Mans Story weekend will be over the weekend 4th - 5th July 2009.

At this event we will most likely have a 30 minute qualifying session and then two 25 minute plus one lap races ( that is how they do it at Le Mans).

It will be possible for two drivers to share one car.

Entry fee will be £350 per car for a single driver - possibly a little extra for a two driver entry.

-

Any Morgan model of a type manufactured before the end of 1965 will be eligible. It may be posible to bend a little to allow slightly later models, reluctantly Moss box V8 cars cannot be accepted - Sorry.

As previously stated, we will insist that all cars use either Dunlop Historic tyres or any road tyre of at least 70 series profile.

International race licences will be required, or a UK National A Licence will be acceptable.

FIA papers will not be required.

More information for this meeting and all others will be posted as and when.

-

I am planning to get my own 1960 Plus 4 back together for next year, so that sounds like 5 Morgans already.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

As promised . . . . . . and at last - here we have a provisional "Equipe"GTS calendar for the 2009 season.

Please remember - this is a provisional calendar - All dates and venues are to be confirmed.

Apr 4th - Donington - 1 x 30 Minute

Apr 18-19th - Anglesey - 2 x 30 Minute

May 16-17th - Croft - 2 x 30 Minute

May 30th -31st - Brands Hatch Indy - 2 x 30 Minute

July 4-5th - Le Mans - Bugatti - 2 x 30 Minute

Aug 8-9th - Silverstone - 2 x 30 Minute

Sept ? - Zandvoort - 2 x 30 Minute

Oct 3-4th - Snetterton - 2 x 30 Minute

"Equipe"GTS have never visited Croft or Anglesey before, so a couple of extra "boxes to tick" for some.

I don't know if we can expect any circiut changes at Donington or Snetterton in 2009 - both as yet appear unchanged in the 2009 MSA Blue Book.

We also understand the MGCC Silverstone International is likely to be over the weekend of July 11th-13th and "Equipe"GTS may well have additional races at this meeting.

I will update as and when.

Cheers,

Jim.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jim,

Thank you for publishing your calender for next year - even if it is provisional. It helps us all to plan for next season and heightens the anticipation!

I am sure there will be equally enthusiastic Morgan racers as me looking forward to your Le Mans meeting. Again to help plan ahead what is the form?! Is there practice on the Friday or on the Saturday morning with the first race Saturday afternoon?

It would help to know as we can then start to look at the ferry prices and dates!

Cheers

Mark

PS Does anyone know if there are any provisional dates yet for The Morgan Challenge races next season?
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

The HSCC have also published their calender for next season on their website:

See http://www.hscc.org.uk/calender.html

Cheers

Mark
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

Hi Mark.

Obviously a bit too early yet for a time-table - and of course - we are dealing with the "French" here !!!!
But I am sure they will have a nice lunch somewhere nearer the time to discuss it and then they will let us know - sooner or later

Last time we did this meeting we had signing-on, scrutineering and a driver's briefing on the Friday, qualifying on Saturday morning, race one on Saturday afternoon and then the second race on Sunday morning. Those drivers who arrived on Saturday morning were rushed through the system.

We tend to ask organisers for our second race to be during the Sunday morning to help those who plan to return home for work on the Monday.

Those drivers who are already registered with "Equipe"GTS will kow we have a special deal with TransEuropa Ferries who operate a service between Ramsgate and Ostende. They offer us a 10% discount, but to be fair, this route is great for Spa, Zolder and even Zandvoort, but not ideal for Le Mans.

Incidentally, the race entry fee will most likely be £350 for the two races.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

The Le Mans Story – July 4th-5th

Entry forms are now available for our visit to Le Mans, the highlight of the Equipe”GTS 2009 race season with qualifying and two thirty minute races on the Le Mans 4.2km Bugatti circuit.

We have a provisional timetable from the meeting’s organisers. Signing–on and scrutineering will start during Friday 3rd along with an opportunity to take part in some un-timed practice with mixed grid sessions in the morning and another “Equipe”GTS only session during the afternoon. Signing-on and scrutineering continues on Saturday for those arriving on that morning and our official qualifying session is planned for late morning.

It was requested and it has been agreed that Race one will be the last race of the day on Saturday during early evening and although at this time of year it will still be daylight, at least will add to the flavour of the historic classic 24hour event. Race two is planned for late Sunday morning leaving enough time to clear any Saturday evening hangovers and to help those planning a return towards home later that same day.

We understand from the meeting’s organisers that this year’s event will be a more lavish affair and with a Saturday evening BBQ and welcome party with live music and hopefully some liquid refreshments for all drivers and their guests

“Equipe”GTS races are open to drivers of Sports and GT cars up to 2.7litre engine capacity and of a type manufactured before the end of 1965. All cars must use either Dunlop Historic Tyres or any 70 series road tyre. Plus 4 and 4/4 Morgans from this period would be most welcome. FIA papers are not required for your car, drivers must have either a UK National A or an International race licence.

We think the entry fee for the two 30 minute races at £350 is very realistic and this can include two drivers planning to share one car.

Please contact; Jim Lowry - email; jim@historique.co.uk for a race entry form.

Acceptance of entry for the 55 grid slots will be confirmed upon receipt of your race entry form on a first come - first served basis, allowing plenty of time for ferry and hotel bookings, etc.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Jim.
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

The Le Mans Story – July 4th-5th

Really good to catch up with most racers of earlier Morgans at Brands Hatch last weekend. I was scrutineering at the meeting and had the opportunity to watch the Tucker Trophy race - a great spectacle to see and really dissapointed to not have had my own Plus4 ready in time to take part.

-

The highlight of the "Equipe"GTS 2009 season at Le Mans is looming and we hope to continue this year's celebrations in a similar fashion and we can now confirm that John Macdonald has kindly offered to contribute to a splendid award for the best placed Morgan at our own Le Mans event. The John Macdonald Morgan Centenary Trophy will then become an annual award for the driver of the best placed Morgan in the "Equipe"GTS race series each year.

We now have a provisional timetable from the meeting’s organisers. Signing–on and scrutineering will start during Friday 3rd along with an opportunity to take part in some un-timed practice with mixed grid sessions in the morning and another “Equipe”GTS only session during the afternoon. Signing-on and scrutineering continues on Saturday for those arriving on that morning and our qualifying session is planned for late morning.

We requested and it has been agreed that Race one will be the last race of the day on Saturday and could be early evening and although at this time of year it will still be daylight, at least will add to the flavour of the historic classic 24hour event. Race two is planned for late Sunday morning leaving enough time to clear any Saturday evening hangovers and to help those planning a return towards home later that same day.

We understand from the meeting’s organisers that this year’s event will be a more lavish affair and we are planning a “French style” BBQ on the Saturday evening for all “Equipe”GTS drivers and their guests before the official ACO’s own welcome party with live music and hopefully some liquid refreshments.

We think the entry fee for the two 30 minute races at £350 is very realistic and this can include two drivers planning to share one car.

Acceptance of entry will be confirmed upon receipt of your race entry form on a first come - first served basis, allowing plenty of time for ferry and hotel bookings, etc.

Entry forms are available on http://www.historique.co.uk

Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Jim.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jim,

Thank you for confirming that Philip Tisdall and I have an entry for the Le Mans race on the Bugatti circuit in two weeks time. Getting really excited now and can't wait!

I know Richard Plant also has an entry as we are all going together - but who else is coming to join the fun?!

Have you still got any spare places on the grid for any latecomers?! It would be great to get as many Plus Fours as possible in the Centenary year.

See you soon,

Cheers,

Mark
Jim Lowry

Post by Jim Lowry »

Hi Mark.

Not helped by three other interesting race meetings all happening over that same weekend, we have a healthy looking 30 plus car grid at Le Mans, but yes - there is space for a few more late entries.

You may have already heard, long time MG enthusiast and racer Colin Pearcy has recently acquired a 1959 Plus4 and will be bringing it to Le Mans along with your car being shared with Philip and Richard Plant is bringing along 626 BVJ.

Unfortunately Simon King had a tangle with some HSCC ruffians recently at Castle Combe, the car now needs some panel repair and will be unable to attend Le Mans along with my own Plus4 which will not be ready in time, but I do hope to get it ready for the Bentley Silverstone meeting in August.

As previously mentioned, John Macdonald has kindly offered support and has provided a really excellent trophy for the best placed Morgan over the Le Mans weekend and we will continue to present the award in following years for the best placed Morgan in the "Equipe"GTS race series. The John Macdonald Morgan Centenary Trophy really is a lovely award, bound to look really good on my own mantle hopefully in 2010.

As you know, but others may not be aware - Christophe has pulled some strings in France and the first of our double header races at Le Mans will be very late in the evening, starting at 9.00 - 9.30 pm just as the sun goes down and perfect for taking in the circuit's historic atmosphere. Hard to see how we can attend the Saturday evening "Welcome Party" and race too, seems tome like the perfect recipe for the night to become quite a late one. Our second race is Mid-day Sunday and I know some UK drivers hope to get back to England in time for work on Monday.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Jim.