Masterclass at Portimao

Races, track days, testing ...
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Masterclass at Portimao

Post by John Emberson »

Just returned from a very wet day in Portimao having witnessed a stunning masterclass of driving in the rain by Keith and Billy in their SLR in the GTSCC race on Sunday. At one point they ran as high as 2nd overall in the race but conditions dried just enough towards the end for them to be caught by a couple of the more powerful cars who could finally put their power down and they finished 4th overall and 1st in class by a very large margin. I believe this is the highest a GT3 car has ever finished in a GTSCC grid and the organisers (Flavien & Vanessa) quite rightly said they drove a stunning race =D>

Of the other SLR's, sadly Simon was absent due to his incident at Spa and Bill Wykeham and I nursed my SLR home to 17th overall after a weekend of niggly engine & gearbox problems culminating in the car running on 3 1/2 cyclinders in the race. However, even with a fully on song car I know we wouldn't have matched the superb drive from Keith & Billy so, hats off to them! Bill's only consolation was getting into the 2:16's during dry qualifying which was still only good enough for 2nd in class behind an Austin Healey. Perhaps I should have learnt from Goodwood that you might outqualify Keith but he usually beats you in the race!

Also, Sue Derbyshire was there in her three wheeler and also impressed everyone with a great race win on the sunny & dry Saturday.
John Emberson
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Re: Masterclass at Portimao

Post by Andy Green »

Excellent well done to Keith and Billy

Good preperation for the Birkett!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I thought the whole point of racing at Portimao is to enjoy dry racing and sunny skies !

But I am very impressed with anyone who can race well in the rain.

Leigh
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Agreed, & didn't help that I told Catherine we'd be "virtually guaranteed" some winter sun...............

Last saw Keith & Billy disappearing in a cloud of spray down the motorway towing their trailer back to the "sunny" UK.
John Emberson
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Where is this Potimeow place?

Saturday at Silverstone was quite a pleasant day and the racing was good, and everyone spoke English, why go elsewhere?

Catherine, you should not believe everything John tells you. Surely you know that by now?

Will we being seeing you on Saturday at the baking hot Birkett?

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

So strange , Nurburg was clear sunny and 24 degrees !
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Nurburg (with umlaut)
Its got a certain ring to it , yes
peter
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phil Egginton »

Totally agree with that.. quite a display from Keith and Billy... just look at the smiles after the race below:

As for the weather.... having worked at the the Portimao circuit for the last 4 years (before I cam back to the UK in March) I can confirm 100% sunshine is NOT guaranteed.. It is after all as west as Ireland and only a few miles from the raging Atlantic Ocean.. :shock:

Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phil Egginton »

And so John does not feel left out......

Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
keith.ahlers
Tech Comm

Post by keith.ahlers »

Congrats to John for the posting.

Sorry if I'm a bit late to the discussion. Billy & I left Portimao Sunday lunchtime immeadiately after the race and we were back in the workshop Tuesday morning. 1500 miles in 48 hours including two hotel overnights and a Calais - Dover ferry.

Then I drove to Scotland to see my mother. Currently recharging before the Birkett on Saturday,

It was a great race for Billy & I in the rain, possibly one of our best, at a great circuit. Started 20th finished 4th.

It was nice to see some familliar MSCC people amongst the spectators.

Best wishes,

Keith